Friday, November 15, 2019

First Line Friday



Happy Friday! It's time for First Line Friday, hosted by Hoarding Books.

It's time to grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line. Today on First Line Friday, I'm featuring a book from one of my many TBR piles, The Auschwitz Escape by Joel C. Rosenberg.






And the first line is ...

"Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide."

About the book...

A terrible darkness has fallen upon Jacob Weisz's Germany. The Nazi regime, under the leadership of Adolf Hitler, has surged to power and now hold Germany by the throat. All non-Aryans--especially Jews like Jacob and his family--are treated like dogs. 

When tragedy strikes during one terrible night of violence, Jacob flees and joins rebel forces working to undermine the regime. But after a raid goes terribly wrong, Jacob finds himself in a living nightmare--trapped in a crowded, stinking car on the train to the Auschwitz death camp.

As World War II rages and Hitler begins implementing his "final solution" to systematically and ruthlessly exterminate the Jewish people, Jacob must rely on his wits and a God he's not sure he believes in to somehow escape from Auschwitz and alert the world to the Nazi's atrocities before Fascism overtakes all of Europe. The fate of millions hangs in the balance.



Let me know the first line of the book closest to you and then head over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating.



If you're a blogger or just a social media-er, we'd love for you to join us, too!


10 comments:

  1. Over on my blog, I am sharing 4-fabulous first lines from the just-released-today new book, The Highlanders (A Smitten Historical Romance Collection). Do stop by and check it out! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that book mentioned a few places. It sounds interesting, Trisha.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from Diamond in the Rough by Jen Turano:https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/11/14/first-line-friday-110/. It's SO good. I'm currently on chapter 17, so I'll share the first line from there.

    "Can't thank you enough, Reginald, for insisting on accompanying Poppy and me as we search for that peddler," Murray said from the far side of the sleigh, staunchly ignoring the frown Poppy, who was squished in between Reginald and Murray, was sending him.

    Hope you have a great weekend filled with awesome reading time. 🙂❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good book, Nicole. Thanks for sharing.

      Have a reading-filled weekend!

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing the first line from the prologue of One More River to Cross by Jane Kirkpatrick: "Mary Sullivan stood outside the circle of men, watched through the triangle of elbows as they nodded and commented about the markings the Paiute drew in the dirt."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/11/first-line-fridays-one-more-river-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I've read some of Jane's books, but I haven't read that one.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! My first line is from “Because of You” by Becky Wade:

    “Maddie Winslow met the man of her dreams the same day that her friend Olivia introduced Maddie to her new boyfriend. Which would have been splendid, except that the man of Maddie’s dreams was Olivia’s new boyfriend.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good book, Becky. Thanks for sharing.

      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  5. I read that one a while ago it's definitely worth the read if you can fit it in!
    This week on my blog I shared the first line from Heart of a Royal by Hannah Currie. It's also my current read so I'll share the first line from chapter 22 here: "The reception had been going on for hours--and no one seemed in any rush to end it." Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read it for years. I'm hoping to fit in in soon.

      I haven't read that book yet, Becca. Thanks for sharing.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete