Friday, October 18, 2019

First Line Friday




Happy Friday! It's time for First Line Friday, hosted by Hoarding Books.

It's time to grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line. Today on First Line Friday, I'm featuring Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.





And the first line in Chapter One is ...

Like all the pharaohs, emperors, and tyrants before him, Il Duce had seen his empire rise only to crumble.


About the book...

Based on the true story of a forgotten hero, Beneath a Scarlet Sky  is the triumphant, epic tale of one young man's incredible courage and resilience during one of history's darkest hours.

Pino Lella wants nothing to do with the war or the Nazis. He's a normal Italian teenager--obsessed with music, food, and girls--but his days of innocence are numbered. When his family home in Milan is destroyed by Allied bombs, Pino joins an underground railroad helping Jews escape over the Alps, and falls for Anna, a beautiful widow six years his senior.

In an attempt to protect him, Pino's parents force him to enlist as a German soldier--a move they think will keep him out of combat. But after Pino is injured, he is recruited at the tender age of eighteen to become the personal driver for Adolf Hitler's left hand in Italy, General Hans Leyers, one of the Third Reich's most mysterious and powerful commanders.

Now, wih the opportunity to spy for the Allies inside the German High Command, Pino endures the horrors of the war and the Nazi occupation by fighting in secret, his courage bolstered by his love for Anna and for the life he dreams they will one day share.



Let me know the first line of the book closest to you and then head over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating.




If you're a blogger or just a social media-er, we'd love for you to join us, too!

8 comments:

  1. That one was soo good!
    Today on my blog I shared the first line from Deadly Deceit by Natalie Walters but I'm currently reading How the Light Gets In by Jolina Petersheim so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (9) here: "Elam Albrecht didn't have many needs." Hope you have a great weekend! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard wonderful things about it. Glad you agree.

      I have read and enjoyed Jolina's book. Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing the first line from One Final Breath by Lynn H. Blackburn: "It didn't get much better than this."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/10/first-line-fridays-one-final-breath-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet. It sounds good :-)

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Wyatt: The Montana Marshalls" by Susan May Warren:

    "Usually Wyatt, goalie for the Minnesota Blue Ox NHL team, could shrug off his mistakes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about that book, Becky, but I haven't read it yet. My husband would like the fact that it mentions an NHL team :-)

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. Happy Saturday!

    Yesterday on my blog I shared the first line from The Painted Castle by Kristy Cambron: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/10/17/first-line-friday-106/. I'm currently reading Always Look Twice by Elizabeth Goddard, so I'll share a line from that book.

    "For some reason he would never understand, Heath always ended up assisting someone in the direst of circumstances."

    Hope you're having a good weekend! 🙂❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed those books. Thanks for sharing, Nicole.

      Delete