Friday, October 4, 2019

First Line Friday




Happy Friday! It's time for First Line Friday, hosted by Hoarding Books.

It's time to grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line. Today on First Line Friday, I'm featuring a book from one of my many TBR piles by my desk, A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay. I met the author this summer. I've enjoyed other books by this author, and I'm looking forward to reading this 2016 release.








And the first line is ...
(Well, the first sentence is short, so I'm listing the first two 😊)

Piccolo. The restaurant matched its name--a tiny and delicate white stucco building with a short, neat brick walk leading from its front door to the parking lot.

About the book...


Emily Price--fix-it girl extraordinaire and would-be artist--dreams of having a gallery show of her own. There is no time for distractions, especially not the ultimate distraction of falling in love.

But Chef Benito Vassallo's relentless pursuit proves hard to resist. Visiting from Italy, Ben works to breathe new life into his aunt and uncle's faded restaurant, Piccollo. Soon after their first meeting, he works to win Emily as well--inviting her into his world and into his heart.

Emily astonishes everyone when she accepts Ben's proposal and follows him home. But instead of allowing the land, culture, and people of Monterello to transform her, Emily interferes with everyone and everything around her, alienating Ben's tightly knit family. Only Ben's father, Lucio, gives Emily the understanding she needs to lay down her guard. Soon, Emily's life and art begin to blossom, and Italy's beauty and rhythm take hold of her spirit.

Yet when she unearths long-buried family secrets, Emily wonders if she really fits into Ben's world. Will the joys of Italy become just a memory, or will Emily share in the freedom and grace that her life with Ben has shown her are possible?



Let me know the first line of the book closest to you and then head over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating.




If you're a blogger or just a social media-er, we'd love for you to join us, too!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Cold Pursuit" by Gayla K. Hiss:

    "Faith Chandler stared at the man walking in the distance."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thanks for sharing! I haven't read that one yet, but it sounds good.

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing the first lines from Simply Starstruck by Aspen Hadley: "It's funny in life how you never recognize a big moment when it's actually happening."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/10/first-line-fridays-simply-starstruck-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolene, that's a great first line. So true! I'll have to check that book out.

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I shared the first line from The Telegraph Proposal by Becca Whitham and Gina Welborn but I'm currently reading Aiming for Love by Mary Connealy so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (7) here: "Jo turned back to Dave to see him shake his head." Hope you have a wonderful weekend with plenty of quality reading time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, I've read other books by Whitham/Welborn, but I haven't read that one yet. Thanks for sharing.

      Happy reading and happy weekend. I'm definitely getting in some reading time :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Nicole. I've read Nancy's book. It's quite good. Happy reading and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete