Friday, December 13, 2019

First Line Friday


Happy Friday! It's time for First Line Friday, hosted by Hoarding Books.

It's time to grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line. Today on First Line Friday, I'm featuring a book from one of my many TBR piles, Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. I met this author and purchased this book at a conference a couple months ago. He was wonderful to listen to and speak with, and I look forward to reading this book.






And the first line is ...

Joe Pepitone once gave me his New York Yankees baseball cap.

About the book...

"The Dump" is what Doug Swieteck calls his home in Upstate New York. He lands there in the summer of 1968, when the Apollo space missions are under way, Joe Pepitone is slugging for the New York Yankees, and the Vietnam War is raging. At home he lives with a father who has lost his way and a brother accused of robbery. And Doug's oldest brother is returning from Vietnam. Who knows what wounds his missions have given him? But Doug has his own mission, too, and it begins when he first sees the plates of John James Audubon's Birds of America at the local library. His mission will open a world as strange to him as the lunar landscape.



Let me know the first line of the book closest to you and then head over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating.




If you're a blogger or just a social media-er, we'd love for you to join us, too!

7 comments:

  1. Today on my blog I’m sharing the first two lines from The Earl’s Betrothal by Karen Tuft. This book is SO good. If you love Regency I highly recommend this story. I’m currently on chapter 10, so I’ll share from there:

    “Amelia slept until noon, so exhausted she was from the events of the day and night before.”

    Hope you have a great weekend! 🙂❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I'm relatively new to Regency, but I do enjoy the ones I've read. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks!

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday!
    This week on my blog I shared the first lines from the novella collection Sew in Love but I'm currently reading Seconds to Live. I'll share the first line from chapter 3 here: "In a warm robe, her fingers pink and wrinkled from the hour spent in the tub, Taylor grabbed her phone and studied the missed call." Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca,

      I haven't read Sew in Love, but I have read Seconds to Live. It's a really good book!

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. My first line is from the debut novel Above the Fold by Rachel Scott McDaniel.

    March 10, 1922 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Soot-stained windows filtered the morning light, casting an ashen shadow on the crowded courtroom and darkening the sting of judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene,

    Ha! I love that line :) That sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to look it up.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula,

    Thanks for sharing. That first line paints a vivid picture. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete