This quick read gives an overview of Dolly’s life, starting with her humble beginnings, and how her faith has been a significant part of her journey. The author doesn’t know Dolly, but he “grew up” with her, and his research about and admiration for Dolly is apparent.
The book is broken into ten chapters, each focusing on one lesson the author has drawn from Dolly’s life and music. Each chapter begins with a quote from Dolly and ends with a section entitled “Divine Dose of Dolly.” In this final wrap-up section, the author includes a Bible verse (Note: These are included throughout the chapters, as well.) and some questions for reflection based on the chapter. There is also a Dolly song mentioned, and the reader is encouraged to read the lyrics/listen to the song and then answer some questions based on that. This section makes it possible for this book to be used in a small group study, if desired.
While there are quite a few stories about the author in the book, there are also a number of familiar Dolly stories, such as her coat of many colors, which inspired a song and TV movie. A variety of photos is also included, and that adds a more personal touch to the story.
Some of my favorite Dolly quotes include:
· “We all need to have hope that there’s something bigger than we are.”
· “My desire to pursue my dreams has always been greater than my fear of not accomplishing
· “I have taken some mighty big chances in my life. Some of them have worked out, some haven’t. However, every time I have stepped out of my comfort zone, I have learned a ton of valuable lessons—lessons that helped me in all parts of my life.”
· “You’re not going to see your dreams come true if you don’t put wings, legs, arms, hands, and feet on ‘em.”
· “Faith, hope, and love are the three most important words in my life. I believe it is faith that helps you achieve those things you hope for and that love is the reason for it all.”
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy as part of the BookLook Bloggers Program. I wasn’t required to leave a positive review.