Let me start by saying that I absolutely adore devotional books, so I was excited to have the opportunity to review the upcoming release from Joel and Victoria Osteen, which is geared toward couples. While I’ve read many devotional books, this is the first I’ve read with a focus on supporting, growing, and encouraging relationships.
Each reading contains a title, Bible verse, short devotion, and a closing prayer. They are short and only take a few minutes to get through, but they are perfect to use at the beginning or end of a day. It is structured to provide couple the opportunity to do a daily reading five days a week. “We Declare” statements are placed evenly throughout the book. These provide added inspiration and encouragement for couples.
A number of topics are included, such as dreams, decisions, toxic thoughts, and forgiveness. At the end of the book, Joel provides the reader with the opportunity to make Jesus the Lord of their lives by walking them through a prayer. Contact info Joel and Victoria is also provided.
Some of my favorite devotions were based on the following title/verse (in no particular order):
- Remember Your Dream: Psalm 37:4 (page 92)
- Self-sufficient in Christ’s Sufficiency: Philippians 4:13 (page 63)
- Be Compassionate: 1 Peter 3:8 (page 221)
- Stay in Peace: Matthew 6:34 (page 190)
- Be Encouragers: 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (page 232)
- Agree to Disagree: Ephesians 4:26 (page 123)
- Perfect Peace: Isaiah 26:3 (page 88)
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy as part of the FirstWords blogger program, but I wasn’t required to leave a positive review.