Many people know Payne as "Chewbacca Mom," from the viral video. In her latest release, she infuses some of the joy found in that video in hopes of reminding the reader that we all struggle with being joyful (versus being discouraged or overwhelmed), but it is possible.
Overall, the book is a quick read that's easy to digest. The small size makes it extremely portable, and I really enjoyed the colorful illustrations throughout. The chapters are short and full of relatable stories and experiences. Each chapter ends with a place for the reader to journal about a question pertaining to the chapter, and there is a section at the end of the book for notes. Payne's humor is woven throughout this authentic book.
Some of my favorite quotes include:
- "My hope is that you begin digging in unearthed places to discover pure joy..."
- "When you feel safe, you allow space for you."
- "Simple faith fuels extravagant joy."
- "The most underrated tool we have at our disposal to shift our atmosphere of anxiety to one of joy is to speak out the good times."
- "Simple joys are always found in both adventure and misadventure."
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy at part of the BookLook Bloggers program, but I wasn't required to leave a positive review.