Friday, February 5, 2016

"The Hero's Sweetheart" by Cheryl Wyatt


A Word from Cheryl...
The Hero's Sweetheart came about in large part due to feedback from readers and requests for Sully's story. He was a secondary character in the first three "Eagle Point Emergency" books. Sully's Diner was a prominent setting in the series and an establishment that honors veterans like Sully and his son Jack, the hero in our story. I wrote the book to honor veterans and show the struggle that people with learning disabilities have. I also wanted to honor my husband, who has dyslexia that went undiagnosed through high school and most of college. Yet now, he's a well-respected, highly sought after entrepreneur and owner of seven successful businesses. It is my hope that the book will encourage those who struggle with any aspect of learning, and that they will be encouraged to follow their dreams and let God help them overcome. 

Q & A with Cheryl...

Q: We'll start with the more serious writing related questions. What would you be doing if you were not an author?
A:  I'd probably still be working as an RN :)

Q:  What are your thoughts on the publishing industry in general and in relation to self-publishing?
A:   I believe that, while we are definitely in an economic slump, book readers, romance fans in particular, are some of the most loyal consumers on the planet. We authors could not do what we do without them. My thoughts are mostly gratitude that readers make the sacrifice of time and money to buy our books even when times are hard. I believe this is a great time in history to be an author in terms of the ability to self-publish. That said, I do still love and appreciate traditional publishers and pray the industry recovers.

Q:  What advice do you have for new authors?
A:  It seems like my advice to new authors is constantly changing, but what's on my heart right now is that they'd be encouraged to not give up when things get hard. Write often. Write well. Stay teachable but wise in who you let edit and critique your work. Also, remember where you came from and reach back and help other aspiring authors as you've been helped. Also, love your readers. I mean really, truly love them without agenda. To remain humble and approachable. To appreciate and honor those who helped you along the road.

Q:  What is your favorite writing-related book?
A:  I love Don Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel/Workbook. Also love GMC by Deb Dixon. Excellent for romance writers. GMC also helps with synopsis writing, in my opinion.

Q:  What can you tell me about your next project?
A:  God willing, I plan to continue my "Eagle Point Emergency" series with Harlequin/Love Inspired. I just turned in books five and six. I'm also branching out with some indie series, one of which will feature a second team of PJs (Parachute Jumpers). I'd also love to continue writing romance for Zondervan, and I am working on a proposal there.

Q:  Now for some fun questions. What's your favorite season?
A:   Winter. I love snow!!

(Note: Readers, do you agree?? I know I've already had my fill of winter!)

Q:  PC or Mac?
A:  Mac, as of last year. It was a learning curve switching from a PC, but I feel it was well worth it.

Q:  What is your favorite band or song?
A:  I love anything by Jesus Culture. I also love Lauren Daigle. Have you heard her song "Noel"? Incredible! She is an up-and-coming worship leader with a beautiful and unique voice. I also love "Inside Out" by Seventh Day Slumber. It's a prayer I pray a lot before starting a new writing project and dedicating my work to God. You can listen to it here: http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=F0F0C1NU.  Kutlass is also a favorite band. I love "Strong Tower" and their version of the worship song "Jesus, Jesus (Holy and Anointed One)." I like music. Can you tell? LOL!

Q:  I totally agree! I love music, particularly worship songs. You named some great ones, for sure. Just a couple more questions. What book do you wish you had written?
A:  One that would have been made into a Hallmark movie or stayed on the NYT bestseller list for about two years straight :-)

Q:  One final question. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A:  Definitely Psalms 94:1-4:
1.  He who dwells in the shelter of the
Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2.  I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
3.  For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
4.  He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

Verse four is my favorite part :-)

Cheryl, thank you so much for taking the time to answer a few questions. I'm sure my readers will enjoy the chance to get to know you a bit better.

( I rated it 4.5 - Top Pick!/5 stars)

About Cheryl...


Not even Cheryl Wyatt's closest friends would dream that this sweet, shy intercessor plots mayhem during announcements at church. She is a Registered Nurse turned stay-at-home mom, wife, and writer who loves Jesus with all her heart.

Joyful chaos rules her home, and she delights in the stealth moments God gives her to write. She stays active in her church and in her laundry room. She is convinced that having been born on a Naval base on Valentines Day destined her to write Inspirational Military Romance.

Cheryl loves to laugh and to make others laugh, so she often plans comedic moments for her defenseless characters in spite of their grumbling. She says it's payback for when they refuse to obey the plot she's set out before them.

Prior to publication, six of Cheryl's manuscripts placed in ten RWA contests. Two of Cheryl's stories also placed First in ACFW's Noble Theme Contest 2005 (Contemporary Romance Category), as well as ACFW's Genesis Contest 2006 (Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Category).

She took writing courses through Jerry Jenkins' Christian Writers Guild and Longridge Writers Institute of Children's Literature, and she has been previously published in non-fiction (poetry, devotionals).

She currently writes for Love Inspired, HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Zondervan imprint, and more. Her stories can be purchased anywhere books are sold.

She can be found online:

website:      http://cherylwyatt.com/

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview. I love her favorite verse. Like you, I'm kind of tired of winter and really looking forward to the burst of color hailing the arrival of spring. This sounds like a great book. I need to look for this. Thank your for sharing.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katrina.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Yes, it's certainly a wonderful verse. And I'm definitely looking forward to that burst of color. (Even though, thankfully, our winter has been too terrible this year...so far, at least!)

      I hope you enjoy the book!

      Leslie

      Delete