Kristi Watts, former co-host of The 700 Club, has written a book which explores the factors keeping Christians from being truly joyful. It is designed to remind the reader that “true happiness is not simply acquired but rather cultivated.”
It is apparent that Watts has a genuine faith in God, despite the trials encountered, such as a divorce, being a single parent, and job loss. Watts is very open about a dark period in her life, but she is just as transparent about what helped her through the difficulties. She learned that happiness can be achieved, but it must be worked on. Watts found that it is possible to talk yourself happy. She was able to find power in God’s Word and promises versus focusing on faulty thinking.
The book focuses on eight principles: Compassion, Trust, Identity, Obedience, Forgiveness, Praise, Help, and Promise. In addition to explaining the steps she used, Watts also blends Scripture verses and biblical truths throughout the book. A simple prayer and Scripture wrap-up are included at the back of the book.
Some of my favorite quotes from the book include:
- “The purposeful act of aligning our words, our hearts, in our minds with God’s word — both Jesus himself and the Scriptures — is the key to happiness. Why? Because our words not only carry power — words are power!”
- “… not only do our negative words break down our faith in God, but they also create a breeding ground for discontented lives and discouraged hearts — ultimately making us miserable human beings.”
- “Words come by way of three different sources: God, the enemy, and ourselves… The question we must ask is, whose word are we choosing to believe?”
- “When we step aside and allow the Holy Spirit to step in, we will see the impossible become possible.”
- “Happiness is simply trusting God with every aspect of our lives by acknowledging His hand at work.”
Amazon link for purchase...