Inspiration can hit when you least expect it, so be sure to carry a notepad (or have a note-taking app on your cell phone). Inspiration could strike while standing in line or sitting in a doctor's office. These are perfect opportunities for you to take note of your environment. However, if you are looking for more ideas on how to find inspiration for your next story, here are a few suggestions:
- Read: Try branching out from what you typically read. It may inspire you to try something new in your own writing.
- Conversation: Sometimes you just can't help overhear conversations. You may find an interesting snippet that could be the basis for your next story.
- Movies: There are numerous songs and stories based off of a line or scene from a movie.
- Writing Groups: Brainstorming with other writers could lead to new ideas.
- Nature: Stepping outside and enjoying God's creation can be extremely inspiring.
- Dreams: Keep a notebook beside your bed and jot down what you remember.Perhaps these can be worked into your next story.
- The Dictionary: Randomly open it up and choose a word.Do some free associating and see what you come up with.
- Free writing:For five minutes, sit and write about anything and everything that pops into your mind.Don't try to edit it, just let the words flow.
- Change Your Scenery or Routine: Something as simple as changing your location can give you a different perspective and possibly fresh ideas.
- Try Different Creative Outlets: For instance, paint, sing, or dance. Doing something different, yet also creative, could inspire you in a new way.